Hyuandai has been around for a while and they have developed a good reputation, their cars are affordable to buy and run, well made and reliable. One of their best sellers must be the I20 which has just arrived in showrooms.
The latest i20 is a little bigger than its predecessor, it is 30mm wider, the wheelbase is 10mm longer and the body just 5mm longer, but this will be noticeable inside the car. This really is a new i20, the previous model was not very pretty but the new car does change that, we will only get the 5 door version in South Africa. There will be 3 options available, starting with a 61kW 4 with a 5 speed manual gearbox. Next we have a 74kW 1,4 with an automatic gearbox and the range is topped by a 3 cylinder turbocharged 1 litre motor producing 90kW, this car will be offered with a choice of manual or dual clutch transmission.
The i20 will come with a long list of equipment to keep you safe and comfortable. These include;
- Infotainment System (Apple CarPlay /Android Auto)
- Steering Wheel Multifunction Controls (Bluetooth, audio, onboard computer)
- Cruise control
- Manual air conditioner
- 3.5 Inch Supervision Cluster
- Front & Rear USB Connection
- Wireless Charging
- Electric/Auto Folding Side Mirrors
- Black cloth seat trim
- Black front grill
- 16-inch Alloy Wheels
- Driver, passenger, side and curtain airbags
- ABS with EBD braking systems
- Central locking with remote
- Rear Park Assist & Camera
- Autonomous emergency braking.
- Forward collision assist with pedestrian detection.
- Lane keeping assist & departure warning
The new i20 is now a real contender in the compact hatch segment and I am sure we will be seeing a lot of them on our roads. Visit your nearest Hyundai dealer for more information and to arrange a test drive.